Timely maintenance of your septic tank system helps to prolong the life of your septic system and prevents the need for costly septic repairs or replacement.
The following tips are a good guideline for maintaining your septic system, ensuring a long life and preventing expensive repairs.
- Dont overload the system. This is the primary cause of septic system failures. Early morning and bedtime are peak water use times in the bathroom so try to use other appliances that use water such as the dishwasher and washing machine at different times of the day.
- Its best not to use a garbage disposal or dump coffee grounds in the sink. The more solids you put into your tank the more often you are going to need to clean out the tank.
- Do not pour fats and oils down the drain. They can build up and clog the septic tank pipes
- Do not put paper towels, tissue, cigarette butts, dental floss, disposable diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons and other material other than toilet paper into the toilet.
- Use normal amounts of detergents, bleaches, drain cleaners, household cleaners and other products. Avoid dumping solvents like dry cleaning fluid, pesticides, grease, oil, photographic chemicals, paint thinner, or auto products down the drain.
- Conserve water by fixing leaks and drips
- Direct down spouts and runoff away from the septic field to avoid saturating the area with excess water.
- Dense grass cover and other shallow rooted plants are beneficial over a drainfield. However, do not plant trees because large plant roots can clog or break the pipes.
- Avoid compacting the soil over the infiltration area. Do not drive or park vehicles over the area and don’t build a shed or driveway in this area. These activities can also crack pipes, meaning that effluent will only flow into part of the drain field.
- Tanks need to be pumped three years, depending on use. If the tank gets too full, particles of scum or sludge will flush out of the tank. This material will clog the drainfeild and cause the septic system to fail.
“Best service we have had in NZ since we left.”
Deb & Colin from Aus – Property at Whakapirau
We service most areas in the Rodney and Kaipara districts including Whakapirau, Pahi, Paparoa, Maungaturoto, Kaiwaka, Mangawhai, Langs, Te Arai, Tomarata, Te Hana, Wellsford, Port Albert, Tapora, Tauhoa, Pakiri, Ahuroa, Glorit, Leigh, Matakana, Warkworth, Snells Beach, Martins Bay, Scotts Landing, Algies Bay, Sandspit and Mahurangi West.